Cheney says US Capitol attack investigation to move forward with new witnesses

U.S. Representative Liz Cheney (RW Wisconsin) looks during a public hearing of the U.S. House Select Committee to investigate the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, on Capitol Hill, in Washington, U.S., July 21, 2022. REUTERS/Sarah Selbiger

Register now to get free unlimited access to Reuters.com

WASHINGTON, July 24 (Reuters) – The panel investigating the January 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol plans to move forward with its investigation in the coming weeks, interviewing other members of Donald Trump’s government and campaign, as well as the U.S. Secret Service. . Deputy Chairman of the Committee said on Sunday service members.

“We’re not done yet,” Representative Liz Cheney, one of two Republican members of the US House of Representatives Select Committee, told CNN’s “State of the Union.”

In eight hearings over a six-week period that included testimony from former White House officials and Trump associates, the panel called the former president responsible for the attack on the Capitol in an effort to stay in power after losing the 2020 election. The hearings also outlined efforts by Trump and his allies to cancel Election results.

Register now to get free unlimited access to Reuters.com

Cheney said the committee has not yet decided whether to refer a criminal referral regarding Trump’s conduct to the US Department of Justice, “but that’s something we’re absolutely looking forward to.”

Cheney said the testimony of Trump aides opened the doors to new evidence, as others in the administration have come forward. Cheney said the committee is also continuing to seek an interview with Virginia “Genie” Thomas, wife of US Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, about her role in Trump’s efforts to overturn the election, and may subpoena her if necessary.

Cheney said the commission would consider deleting the text messages by the Secret Service, adding that the agency had not shown the type of cooperation expected.

“How much there are no text messages from the relevant time period, how much we’re not getting the kind of cooperation we really need, these are all things that the committee will be looking at in more detail in the coming weeks,” Cheney said in a separate interview with “Fox News Sunday.”

Earlier this month, the committee summoned the Secret Service, for text messages from January 5 and January 6, 2021, as it investigated accusations by a watchdog that they had been erased.

The Secret Service said data from some phones was lost during a system migration that began before the monitoring request. Some of the records were handed over to the commission on Wednesday and the commission said it wanted more data. Read more

Register now to get free unlimited access to Reuters.com

(Reporting by James Oliphant and Kanishka Singh) Editing by Tim Ahman and Daniel Wallis

Our criteria: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

#Cheney #Capitol #attack #investigation #move #witnesses

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.